Peddie received its third consecutive National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School 1st Team Award for the school’s ongoing commitment to its athletic training program.
The award, which gives Peddie the Safe Sports School status for three years, champions secondary schools across the country that prioritize the importance of providing student-athletes with the best level of care, injury prevention management and treatment. Peddie first claimed the honor in 2015 and again in 2018.
“Receiving the award for the third consecutive time is something we are very proud of,” said Jose Roca, ATC, Peddie’s Head Athletic Trainer. “I am grateful for the school-wide support in meeting this goal, particularly from the administration, Dr. Aimee Goodman and the Health Center Staff, Athletic Director Thad Lepcio and Assistant Athletic Director Will Sodano, and Director of Building Services John Newman and the Maintenance Department. Gabriela Himpel, Assistant Athletic Trainer and I are fortunate to be part of an outstanding medical team at Peddie.”
"What a tremendous honor for our athletic trainers and our department," said Lepcio. "This does not happen without the high standard of care provided to students in the athletic training room and the coordinated effort with the Health Center. We are fortunate to have such an outstanding team coordinating care for our student-athletes."
Peddie’s athletic training program was considered based on extensive health and safety-related criteria. Programs must:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system.
- Provide or coordinate pre-participation physical examinations.
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities.
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment.
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes.
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions.
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention.
- Create and rehearse a venue-specific Emergency Action Plan.
- Provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education.