Named after Peddie School’s ninth and longest-serving headmaster, Dr. Roger W. Swetland (1898-1934),
Swetland House has long been an institutional icon and historic faculty residence. Built in 1910 and acquired in 1942 by Headmaster Wilbour E. Saunders, the house served as a replacement to the Octagon House as the official headmaster’s residence.
John F. Green, Fifteenth Head of School, was the last to call Swetland home. After his retirement in 2013, an extensive renovation of the house was completed. With the goal of maintaining the integrity of the original space, the expansive 5-bedroom 3-bathroom house was updated to a 7-bedroom 7.5-bathroom home. The third floor was expanded, walls were removed, all appliances were upgraded, the kitchen was remodeled and new HVAC, plumbing and electrical were installed.
Today, Swetland House is a beautifully furnished retreat for invited guests from all over the world.