Peddie’s music program offers growth opportunities for both the serious musician and the curious newcomer. In addition to coursework
in music appreciation, history, and theory we encourage participation in a variety of performing ensembles. During the class day more than 150 students take part in our Chorus and Symphonic Orchestra, as well as many smaller instrumental and vocal ensembles.
Other musical opportunities include:
- taking private lessons from adjunct faculty on all instruments, including voice (for an additional fee).
- rehearsing after school with other student musicians in the Pit Orchestra to provide accompaniment for the annual winter musical in collaboration with the theater department. (Recent productions include 9 to 5, Guys & Dolls, and Into the Woods.)
- performing at many school events, (including Chapel, Community Meeting, Family Style Dinner, Vespers, Alumni and Development gatherings, Admission Open Houses, Convocation and Graduation, to name a few,) as well as many community venues.
Students who are enrolled in Chorus may audition for the following groups:
- Acafellas, an all-male ensemble
- Treblemakers, an all-female ensemble
- Peddie Singers, a mixed ensemble
Students who are enrolled in Orchestra may participate in the following ensembles:
- Symphonic Orchestra, an ensemble combining string, wind, percussion, and keyboard instrumentalists
- Concert Band, an ensemble combining wind, percussion, and keyboard instrumentalists
- String Orchestra, a string ensemble that performs standard orchestral repertoire
- The Pulse, a jazz ensemble that performs standard jazz, contemporary jazz and popular music (by audition)
- Chamber Orchestra, a small ensemble that performs challenging standard orchestral repertoire (by audition)
- Guitar Ensemble, a guitar, bass, and drum ensemble that performs classic and contemporary rock ‘n roll and popular music
- Percussion Ensemble, an ensemble for anything you can shake, scrape, or strike (including trash cans!)