In 1989, Walter H. Annenberg ’27 contacted interim head of school Anne Seltzer. He offered to have photographic reproductions of significant works of art made for Peddie. By providing examples of masterpieces for the campus, Annenberg believed that students would have a greater appreciation for art. Narrator: Andrew Harrison, art teacher.
The interior lobby of Annenberg Hall continues the classical theme from the exterior of the building. Originally named Memorial Hall in honor of the 502 Peddie boys who fought in World War I, Memorial Hall was the largest building project undertaken by Headmaster Roger Swetland. Dedicated in 1925, at a cost of $500,000, it is now called Annenberg Hall and serves as the main administration and classroom building. Narrator: Deanna Ferrante, director of marketing and communications.
Drama teacher Jeffrey “Harry” Holcombe is the longest serving teacher in Peddie’s history, serving an impressive 45 years in the classroom. Narrator: Cathy Watkins, chair of the art department.
Built in 1832, Kalomathia House, whose name means “Learners of the Beautiful”, is the oldest building on Peddie’s campus. Narrator: Elizabeth "Betty" Tennyson, math teacher.
In June of 1888 Jonathan Longstreet, a graduate of Princeton who was lawyer and a member of the board of trustees, and his sister Mary Longstreet, a life-long invalid, donated $10,000 towards the construction of a new library. Narrator: Brian Davidson, director of parent and alumni relations.
Soon after Memorial Hall was dedicated, the building was embellished with several marble replicas purchased from the firm of P.P Caproni and Brothers of Boston. Narrator: Tristram Wood, English teacher.
Octagon House is Peddie’s second oldest building. It was built in 1857 by Dr. Calvin Bartholomew in an octagonal style popularized by Orson Fowler, the grandfather of Orson Wells. Octagon houses were designed to enclose maximum space with minimal material and though hundreds were built, Peddie’s Octagon House is the last remaining house of this style in the Delaware Valley. Narrator: Paul Watkins, writer-in-residence and history teacher.
Established in 1988, the Potter-Kelley Cup represents the highest ideals of sportsmanship and competition, epitomized by the rivalry between Peddie School and Blair Academy. The cup is named for the late F. Edward Potter Jr., former headmaster of Peddie who died unexpectedly of a heart attack in the summer of 1988, and James R. Kelley, former headmaster of Blair who retired in 1989. Narrator: Morgan Spivey '14.
In the late 1700’s, Michael & Hannah Ward owned most of the land south of Rocky Brook, including the property on both sides of Ward and Mercer Street. Ward Street was, naturally, named after the Ward Family. Narrator: David Martin, Ph.D., Peddie School archivist and Latin teacher.
Dedicated in 1869, the main school building contained everything necessary for school life. Dormitories, a chapel, primary department classrooms, literary society rooms in the attic, artist’s rooms, dining hall, kitchen, laundry, and servant’s rooms were all included. The basement contained a game room with billiards, ping pong, and even a bowling alley and shooting range. Narrator: Mark Gartner '84, math teacher.