Peddie School traces its origins to the Hightstown Female Seminary, an all-girls school established in May 1864 in an upstairs room at the Baptist Church on Main Street in Hightstown, NJ. The seminary was reorganized that summer to become coeducational and opened business as the New Jersey Classical Institute on August 23, 1864 with 105 students enrolled for the 1864-65 academic year. In 1872, the school was renamed the Peddie Institute in gratitude for Thomas B. Peddie's generous gift of $25,000.
A century and a half later, the school has moved from coeducation to single-sex and back to coeducation, and is comprised of a 280-acre campus with 57 buildings. Enrollment is approximately 550 boarding and day students representing 20 states and 30 foreign countries. Through the generosity of a $100 million gift in 1993 from Ambassador Walter H. Annenberg ’27, the school now ranks as one of the most highly-endowed independent schools in the nation, and offers financial aid to over 40% of the student body. The academic year 2013-14 marked the 150th anniversary of the founding of Peddie School.
Peddie School motto: Finimus Pariter Renovamusque Labores When we finish our labors we begin them anew
201 South Main Street Hightstown, NJ 08520-3349 Phone Number: 609-944-7500 Fax Number: 609-944-7901